Palsgaard® AMP 4455 is a new chocolate emulsifier that meets or exceeds the effects of lecithin at vastly reduced dosages. It enables chocolate-producers to take back control of their costs – while providing optimal control of viscosity.
Palsgaard® AMP 4455 is essentially an ammonium phosphatide (also known as AMP, Emulsifier YN or E442) that has been developed as a powerful alternative to lecithin. It’s just as easy to use, but outperforms lecithin in reducing the chocolate’s plastic viscosity and yield value – using as little as 40% of the normally applied dosage.
Nothing gives you as much control over viscosity as Palsgaard® AMP 4455. Whether you’re working with regular or low-fat recipes, you can get all the control you need - without the taste or odour downsides of lecithin. Key to this emulsifier’s outstanding performance is that increasing the dosage of Palsgaard® AMP 4455 doesn’t increase yield value. Instead, you can dose up to 1% Palsgaard® AMP 4455 to achieve the desired viscosity reduction. And it’s this unique ability that opens the door to new, low-fat, low-calorie and low-cost recipes.
Chocolate industry profits margins are squeezed more tightly than ever before – mainly due to rising raw ingredient prices. Palsgaard® AMP 4455 can be used as a new and highly effective avenue to explore potential savings and expand profit margins. For example, using lecithin in chocolate at a dosage of around 0.4% normally provides cocoa butter or vegetable fat savings of around 4%. At the same dosage level, however, Palsgaard® AMP 4455 can extend these savings by an additional 2 to 3% to create a total potential saving of 6 to 7%.
Where the taste profile isn’t a critical parameter – as with the chocolate drops used in cookies, or the chocolate used for enrobing a cake, countlines or biscuits – there’s even more flexibility to use less cocoa butter. For such special applications, Palsgaard® AMP 4455 can take cost savings far beyond the limits of lecithin.
Palsgaard identified AMP many years ago as potentially the best and most functional viscosity-reducing chocolate emulsifier. We’ve worked closely with customers with very different chocolate systems and in different parts of the world to constantly re-approach and refine every aspect of AMP-based solutions to their challenges.
Palsgaard® AMP 4455 has been specifically developed to provide a high degree of safety against microbiological organisms such as E-Coli and salmonella, and all batches of Palsgaard® AMP 4455 are produced in hygienic, sealed machinery at temperatures where microorganisms cannot survive. In the event of contamination further along the supply chain, inoculation tests confirm that all microorganism activity would cease in less than a week.
Palsgaard® AMP 4455’s taste neutrality lets you use it, unlike lecithin, at high dosages with applications sensitive to off-flavours such as crumb chocolate with its low content of cocoa solids, white chocolate, or white confectionary spreads.
Soya-based lecithin is at the mercy of harvest variations, causing fluctuations in supply and prices and influencing the purity of its raw materials. Palsgaard® AMP 4455 doesn’t suffer from such difficulties. It’s primarily manufactured using a combination of refined and deodorised sunflower oil and glycerine, making it a 100% vegetable-based product. Sunflower oil is one of the major vegetable oils on the world commodities market, which ensures a stable supply and minimises price variations.
Palsgaard® AMP 4455 is a showcase of compliance with widely demanded manufacturer and and consumer preferences, offering the following important attributes:
Our chocolate pilot plant is available to help you test Palsgaard® AMP 4455 with your recipes. With process equipment similar to that used in many chocolate factories, the plant enables Palsgaard’s application team to demonstrate how to reformulate from lecithin to AMP – and to help fine-tune each recipe for success. We also offer a broad range of expert application services at our confectionery application centers on three continents to help you achieve your individual product goals.
Read more about our confectionery application centers
Check out our video explaining how we work with chocolate and confectionery producers around the world
International Sales Manager
Business Unit Manager, Mexico & Latam
Technical Sales Manager, Asia Pacific Region